Blog Author Steve Hudgik
Monday, October 22, 2012
Safety News Briefs - Week Ending October 20th
A weekly news feature summarizing safety related news.
Teenager killed by unplugged computer
The Kansas City Star recently reported a Shawnee, KS, teenager was
fatally shocked while working on an unplugged computer. According to
police, he was parting out the machine and was working inside the power
supply when electrocuted.
Read this story in Broadcast Engineering to learn some excellent tips for responding to electrical injuries (click here
Mark Alvis Inc. settles whistleblower complaint for $30,000
It was earlier reported that when trucking company Mark Alvis asked an employee to remove their belongings from a truck, that a representative from Mark Alvis said that the employee quit. (See OSHA press release
.) The employee claimed they were fired. OSHA sided with the employee and ordered Mark Avis, Inc. to pay the employee $180,000. A settlement for $30,000 has been reached.
Read the story in Land line
Farm workers sue California regulators over heat rules
The United Farm Workers of America filed suit against California's work safety
division last week, alleging that state regulators aren't enforcing heat
An ongoing lawsuit filed in 2009 alleged similar violations in earlier years.
At least 14 farmworkers have died of heat-related causes since 2005 when
California adopted the nation's first rules requiring shade and water
for the state's 450,000 farmworkers. There were three confirmed
heat-related fatalities in 2008, none in 2009, one in 2010 and one last
year. Four deaths this summer are being investigated.
Connecticut dentist ordered to pay fine resulting from cold reception area
A Danbury dentist has been ordered by federal authorities to pay more than $24,000 in back wages to an employee who was fired within days after filing a complaint with OSHA. Court documents say the employee filed an electronic complaint with OSHA on Jan. 16, 2011, about "what she experienced to be extremely cold working conditions" in the front office and waiting area of the pediatric dental practice.
Read the story in the News Times
Related Past Posts:
Safety News Briefs - Worker Insomnia
Safety News Briefs - 7 Worst Emergency Planning Mistakes
Safety News Briefs - Worker Tested Positive For Cocaine
Labels: electrical safety, hot weather safety, whistleblower
posted by Steve Hudgik
View This Post - (0 Comments) |