Blog Author Steve Hudgik
Monday, March 25, 2013
OSHA Significant Citations Last Week
The following is a summary of OSHA and state OSHA significant citations that have proposed fines over $100,000 that were announced during the week ending March 23rd.
The following are based on a press releases from OSHA and other sources. Reports from states, such as California, Oregon and Wyoming, in which the state has responsibility for workplace safety enforcement are also included.
OSHA fines NJ laundry facility for safety and health violations ($164,700)
OSHA has cited Brite Services Inc., doing business as Star Laundry, for 39 serious safety and health violations
found by OSHA at its commercial laundry facility in Paterson.
The OSHA inspection was prompted by a complaint alleging the company would not allow workers to leave the building during an emergency. The proposed penalties total $164,700.
OSHA found electrical hazards and an obstructed and improperly marked exit route. Additional violations included:
- allowing employees to potentially be struck by traffic while crossing a public street when transporting laundry bins from one building to another.
- failing to provide a cover and guardrails for open pits
- not having a handrail for the stairway
- failing to evaluate the workplace for permit-required confined spaces
- not posting signs informing workers of confined spaces
- not having a written confined space permit program
- failing to establish an energy control program for performing maintenance/servicing work
- failing to train power industrial truck operators
- leaving powered industrial trucks in need of repair in service
- not insulating or covering steam pipes that are less than 7 feet from the floor
- not properly guarding machines
- failing to implement a hearing conservation program for workers exposed to noise levels at 88 and 89 decibels
- failing to ensure safety goggle usage
- not providing an unblocked eyewash station
- not having a written hazard communication program
- failure to provide hazard communication training
The citations can be viewed at http://www.osha.gov/ooc/citations/briteservices_641138and658718_0314_13.pdf
Brite Services Inc. has 15 business days from receipt of the citations to comply, request an informal conference with the OSHA area director in Hasbrouck Heights, or contest the citations and proposed penalties before the independent Occupational Safety and Health Review Commission.
Related Past Posts:
No Significant OSHA Citations - Week Ending March 16th
Significant OSHA Citations - Week Ending March 2nd
Significant OSHA Citations - Week Ending February 23rd
Labels: electrical safety, LOTO, noise hazards
posted by Steve Hudgik
View This Post - (0 Comments) |